Sunday 24 May 2020

Asparagus al Dente

I'm sure some of you will have been following Dominique's excellent posts (see below) on how to cook 'cordon bleue' asparagus - or maybe I should say asparagus "à la Flamande" - whatever you call it it's delicious.
Being a Brit I've always preferred green asparagus and that's the only kind that I have ever attempted to cook - except for one grimly memorable occasion when we entertained the Bauer family to dinner.  Knowing that they would prefer the white variety I attempted to serve that, cooked the way I always cook green asparagus, just microwaved to perfection in a couple of minutes  - unfortunately with white asparagus that just produces twigs possibly suited for firelighters but not anything else.  I tried more cooking, and more ... eventually I served the inedible stuff which we all laboured (silently) to consume.
Later Rita explained to me very discreetly that with white asparagus one has to peel the stuff first, a crucial step of which I was completely ignorant!  Here (below) Rita shows us how to prepare white asparagus for cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment