Monday 1 June 2020

Regional specialties and a unique wine!

This weekend in Le Temps des cerises we combined take away from one of our favorite restaurants in the village, with one home made dish. Like everywhere else, also here restaurants provide a take away service in order to survive-more or less- this especially for them very difficult time. The restaurant 'Puurs Lof' serves Flemish and regional specialties, like for example eel in green sauce, fish stew and asparagus soup. We ordered the asparagus soup and the croquettes with asparagus and North-sea shrimp! absolutely delicious!



The main dish was again, on general demand, the pork cheeks stew with Rodenbach I made two weeks ago!



The wine this Sunday was a bit of a curiosity, that takes me back to one of the weirdest conversations I have ever had. One evening a few years ago,  I got a strange phone call from somebody who was clearly drunk and who I could not very well understand because the line was awfully bad. Through the crackles I could however discern this one phrase, an enigmatic question that was asked without any introduction:  'what is bee's knees in Latin?' I had no idea who this man was and what he was talking about... I just thought: 'you're going to have a serious headache tomorrow'. It turned out this person was my father, calling from Gigondas -hence the bad line- and 'Bee's knees' was a new wine in the making... These days, a bottle of Bee's Knees is hard to find, but fortunately we have our contacts- networking is everything these days! So there it was!: a powerful and yet fruity, unmistakably high quality Gigondas. If it is true every wine bears the mark of its maker, then there is certainly a viticulteur de caractère behind this one!



No comments:

Post a Comment