Tuesday 9 June 2020

Bars and Bras




I have to admit that I do feel the call of the bar - not the legal bar you understand but the alcoholic variety.  Not that I'm a 'bar fly', no, at least not for the last 50 odd years, it's just a great social environment that I'm missing after a couple of months of lockdown and I have to wonder when, if ever, we'll be able to really enjoy it again.

What I miss is not the beery bar of my student youth, when the choice of beverage (and location) was dictated by financial constraints (and ignorance) but something that I came to enjoy later in life as my preference moved from beer to martinis to wine to real wine and good food!


Along with the change in taste came the discovery of those great bars (especially in California) where one can enjoy good food, usually cooked by chefs right in front of you, and pretty decent wine - all while seated in 'intimate public privacy' at a classy bar.  Happy times.  After a while and a little observation I also discovered that what the chefs were up to was not rocket science, and that's proved to be a handy life skill!
We all know that a great bar needs more than polished mahogany, backlit bottles and shady lighting - it needs a great bartender!  Forget the 'manager' who struts around nervously trying to avoid eye contact while he figures if he'll get his bonus this month.  What we need is the real bartender who remembers your favourite tipple when you've been away for six months, always pours a little more than he should and knows what's good on the menu.
However - what's really important of course is the company!  What can I say? Choose your really good friends, better still your lover, you'll have a great time!  Forget politics, the sports scores and the boring locals! Enjoy Happy Hour!

So I suppose now you are asking "Where do the bras come into all of this?"
Well, it got you reading didn't it?
And the question is "Are bras necessary in bars?"
Answers in the comments column please

1 comment:

  1. "Pub", because Pub is so much more civilized than "Bar". ;-)

    ReplyDelete